How’s everyone been? It’s been a while since I’ve posted a blog. I’ve been so busy with home projects and life! Well folks I am back! For this next blog I wanted to share with you another one of my DIY projects.
So the next area of my home that needed a little TLC uplifting was my kitchen. I became in love with the glass cabinet doors that displayed the white kitchenware and dishes. I needed more lighting and a custom feel to the kitchen. So to my Pinterest I went!
I did not want to spend a grand or more on demo and redoing my kitchen cabinets; plus my cabinets are the original wood and we all know how expensive real wood can be. Getting a professional cabinetry company to redo my kitchen would be out of range for what I would have like to spend so this project was a definite DIY.
Here is the transformation process:
- The cabinets were an off white in color
- The cabinet knobs were outdated
- The solid cabinet doors closed off the kitchen
- The darkness under the cabinets made the kitchen gloomy
- The extra space above the cabinets left the kitchen feeling empty
Clearing out the cabinets
Heightening the cabinets.
- We added 2×2 blocks to the top of cabinets and evenly to the top of the ceiling.
- We then screwed a 1″ plywood board to the 2×2 blocks.
- We then added crown mounding at the ceiling and a trim between the ply board and the cabinets
Painting the cabinets
- I cleaned the cabinets real good with my favorite cleaning product I use for tough stains and gunk! Krudkutter
Krudkutter is amazing!
- I then lightly sanded the cabinets
- Painted the cabinets with Kiltz
- I then painted with white gloss paint
I wanted my glass cabinets doors like my inspiration picture. After seeing that these doors came priced at $80 and up per door I decided to take matters into my own hands. Pinterest where are you?!!! Lol
Oh honey!!! I convinced my husband to cut out the insert of our cabinets so that I can add the glass. The step by step instructions I followed are in the “Pinterest” link above.
- Add glass to the existing doors
- Add in cabinet and under cabinet lighting
- Change knobs
Have any questions about my phase 1 kitchen RENO? Feel free to contact me.